It's a Matter of Life and Death - James 3: 13-18
Passage: James 3:13–3:18
As we study the book of James, we will see how faith and works are inseparable in our living out the life in Jesus Christ.
Sermon Text: James 3:13-18
Broader Context: James 2:13-18
Link to James Study Resources HERE
Link to Personal Study Guide HERE
Questions for further study
- When you read verse 13, do you see the dynamic James in confronting?
- What are the challenges/sinful areas you face that would cause James to look at you and say, "do not boast and be false to the truth."? (vs 15-18)
- What is the point James is making in verse 16 when he states, "this is not wisdom that comes down from above...?"
- Verse 17 is still addressing the application/teaching of the knowledge/wisdom that we have. Contrast verse 17 with jealousy and selfish ambition from verse 14.
- Who benefits from the motivation of the person in verse 14?
- Who benefits from the motivation of the person in verse 17 & 18?
- Spend some time contrasting the two lists of characteristics given.
- What does this passage teach you about God?
- What does this passage teach you about mankind/yourself?
- How does this passage point to Jesus/teach the Gospel?