To Have or To Have Not... James 1: 9-11
Passage: James 1:9–1:11
As we study the book of James, we will see how faith and works are inseparable in our living out the life in Jesus Christ.
Sermon Text: James 1:9-11
Broader Context: James 1:1-12
Link to James Study Resources HERE
Link to Personal Study Guide Here
Questions for Further Discussion
- How is it that the lowly person is exalted here in verse 9?
- What is the point of this exaltation?
- What is the rich person's humiliation?
- Is this humiliation a negative thing?
- Is exaltation exclusive to the lowly and is humiliation exclusive to rich? Why or why not?
- Read Jeremiah 9:23-24 and Isaiah 40:6-8 and then think back through these questions
- Did this change anything?
- If you have time, read the other cross-referenced verses in 9-10.
- Verse 11 is an explanation of verses 9-10. What is James trying to clarify?
- What would you say the tone of these verses are? warning, encouraging, etc...
- Summurize the point of these three verses in one sentence.
- Are you one that needs to realize God's exaltation or be humbled in His presence?
- What must you surrender or what step of obedience can you take in response to this understanding?
- What does this passage reveal about God?
- What does this passage reveal about you/mankind?
- How does this passage point to Jesus/teach the Gospel?